I’m so happy to bring you episode 7 of The Happiness Mama Podcast! I spoke with Camaron Brooks, a mother of two young children who recently published her first book. In her book, Reporting Live From Studio B, she shares the real joys and challenges of motherhood and her transition from being a TV news anchor/reporter to a stay-at-home mom.
Highlights of Our Conversation
- Why and how Camaron wrote and published her book with two very young children
- The “inherent loneliness” of motherhood
- Enjoy the phase you’re in…
- The need to be in the moment as a mother
- Motherhood is a huge learning experience
- Our legacy of love
- The importance of reflection and connection
- Tuning in to “natural sound”: anchors that help us get back to the present
- Moving towards love, not fear
- What is healthy striving?
- Accepting our past
- The importance of little victories for our children
- How we judge ourselves
- Why self-care matters
- High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT), walking, and having fun
- The importance of play
- The power of small steps in creating change
- Some advice for new mamas
Quotes from This Episode by Camaron Brooks
- “My identity as a person really kind of exploded when I became a mom, and I didn’t know who I was and I think that’s because I had a false sense of identity based on career and a lot of other things. But motherhood kind of cracked that all open. We all go through that.”
- “Connection is why we’re here.”
- “Everything in life is a practice, there’s no finish line…”
- “How am I treating my body? How am I taking care of myself?”
- “I see aging as a beautiful process…”
Other Quotes from This Episode
- “What can you do to promote world peace? Go home and love your family.” – Mother Teresa
- “A miracle is a shift in perception from fear to love—from a belief in what is not real, to faith in that which is. That shift in perception changes everything.” -Marianne Williamson
Links and Books Mentioned In This Episode
- Reporting Live From Studio B, Camaron’s book about becoming a stay-at-home mom after a career as a reporter
- Camaron’s Blog: ReportingLivefromStudioB.com
- The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
- 10 MIndful Minutes by Goldie Hawn, Wendy Holden
- The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown
- The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin
- The Book of Awakening, by Mark Nepo
- The HMP episode with Kris Dersch: www.happinessmama.com/05
- Return to Love by Marianne Williamson
- 10% Happier by Dan Harris
- Small Change by Susan and Larry Terkel
- The Happiness Mama Community on Facebook www.happinessmamacommunity.com
Join us in The Happiness Mama Community
It’s a warm, supportive group of mindful mamas, kindred spirits on the journey together. And it’s free! Just go to www.happinessmamacommunity.com.
Spread the Word
If you enjoyed the podcast and want to help other mamas be happier, too, visit iTunes or Stitcher and kindly leave me a rating, review, and subscribe. More ratings and reviews can lead to more eyes and ears seeing and hearing the podcast. Thank you!
How to Subscribe to the Happiness Mama Podcast
Stay in Touch
Never miss an episode!
Click here to get the Happiness Mama Newsletter and your FREE gift, The Self-Care Workbook, with a self-care assessment and over 50 specific ways to add more self-care to your life, so you can feel AMAZING.
Thank you so much for listening! I hope this podcast helps you be a little bit happier, and remember, self-care is not selfish, it’s essential.
Note: This post contains plain old links as well as some affiliate links. When you click on an affiliate link, there is a chance I will earn a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for clicking! ~H