Anna Doogan is a writer, dancer, and mother of three who lives with her family in Portland, Oregon. Amazingly kind and abundantly creative, she has a private practice called SoulWakening, where she does dreamwork and teaches Chakradance. Her writing has appeared in Mutha Magazine, Hip Mama, The Literary Kitchen, and Arcadia Magazine‘s Online Sundries.
We talked about the meaning of creativity, and the many ways to be creative. Anna shared why and how she dances, how it is part of her family life, and the myriad benefits of dance. She explained what Chakradance is, and we talked about Storydance, which helps children process emotions through story and movement.
Anna shared about how she got started writing, as well as tips for making writing a regular practice and getting published. We also talked about what happiness really is, what it’s not, and how we can all be happier. It was a joy to interview Anna, and I am still feeling inspired by our conversation. I hope you will be, too!
Highlights of Our Conversation
- What is creativity?
- So many ways we can be creative
- Why, where, and when she dances and how she got started in dance
- A favorite song to get everyone moving in the morning before school
- A key to happiness is accepting that we’re not happy all the time.
- The importance of accepting all feelings and working through emotions through movement
- StoryDance for children
- Dance and music to channel emotions (even sad ones)
- Dancing is like journaling through movement.
- Benefits of dance
- How to get started with dance as a personal practice
- Chakradance: what it is, and what a typical class is like
- “Meditation through movement”
- How she started writing
- Dream journals
- Writing practice.. a little or a lot?
- How to nurture and encourage the innate creativity of children
- The one word that can encourage creativity and help make us all happier
- Advice for those who want to get published
- Ways to be happier
Links and Books Mentioned
www.SoulWakening.com, Anna’s Website
Improv Wisdom: Don’t Prepare, Just Show Up by Patricia Ryan Madson
The Artist’s Way, by Julia Cameron
Join the Community
Do you want support and connection as you create a beautiful, happy life for you and your family?
Spread the Word
If you enjoyed the podcast and want to help other mamas be happier, too, please share this post on Facebook, Twitter, email, or your favorite platform.
To help make the podcast more visible, visit iTunes and leave a rating, review, and subscribe. Thank you!
Ways to Subscribe to the Happiness Mama Podcast:
Stay in Touch
Get more inspiration and encouragement in your inbox!
Put your name and email in the box below to get the Happiness Mama Newsletter, so you never miss a podcast episode or blog post.
Over to You
Do you dance or listen to music as a way to move through difficult emotions?
Is writing or dance a part of your life?
How do you encourage and support your children in their creativity?
Do you have a system for keeping track of all of your ideas?
Let me know in the comments below, or join in the discussion in the community.
Thank you so much for listening! I hope this podcast helps you be a little bit happier, and helps you go from striving, to thriving!