My guest for episode 12 of the Happiness Mama Podcast is Casey O’Roarty of JoyfulCourage.com. Casey is a mama, blogger, podcaster, parent educator, and coach. I love the tagline of Joyful Courage, which is “raising our children while growing ourselves.”
Before our conversation, I knew we had a lot in common, but wow! We are both former school teachers, both have done positive discipline training, both started blogging and then podcasting, both do coaching, both love mindfulness and personal growth, and we also both love the Outlander books by Diana Gabaldon! Wow! Talk about “sisters from another mister!” (Ha ha! I learned that one from Casey.)
I loved hearing about her journey from being a teacher in a one-room schoolhouse in the mountains (really!) to becoming a positive discipline parent educator, and then starting and growing her online business while also growing her family.
We talked about so many topics related to being a mindful mama while also filling our own cups and growing ourselves as people, and how the two are so closely related.
How can we be the parents we really want to be?
Why do we need to nurture ourselves?
How can we deal effectively (without jumping on the “crazy train”) when our children manage to push all our buttons?
And how can we stay tuned in to our values and make time for things like self-care and meditation?
Listen, and find out!
You’ll also learn how getting a tattoo can make you a better parent, and learn about the man who encourages her every time she takes a drive.
I had so much fun talking with Casey O’Roarty, and I think you’ll love this one, too!
- Teaching in a one-room schoolhouse
- What it was like teaching while wearing and caring for her newborn
- How she created a custom position for herself that allowed her to nurse her baby through circle time
- How and why she started her online business
- Positive Discipline live training
- How positive discipline and her work have affected her life at home
- Casey’s philosophy on why her children are hers
- The mindset that helps us be the best parents and the best people we can be
- How child behavior is like icebergs and weeds
- #JoyfulCourage10, Casey’s free program to support parents in being the parents they want to be, and the unconventional way she’s delivering it
- How body awareness and small physical changes can shift things in big ways
- Making sure we have our toolbox in hand when we need it
- Creating reminders of our truest values
- What self-care is (and isn’t)
- A simple way to do your own women’s circle
- “The hardest parts of being a parent are the richest opportunities for personal growth” ~Casey O’Roarty
- “We design our lives. And yes, there are instincts. Yes there are things that show up, but they don’t have to. If it’s not serving us, it doesn’t need to define us, and we can choose something different.” ~Casey O’Roarty
Links and Books Mentioned In This Episode:
- Joyful Courage, which is Casey’s website, and the link to her #JoyfulCourage10 free program, which is www.joyfulcourage.com/jc10
- Positive Discipline
- Positive Discipline Parent Educator Training
- Soul Navigation Cards
- Tattoos from Danielle LaPorte
- Essential oils from Happiness Mama
Happiness Mama is now offering essential oils to support you in your wellness and happiness journey.
You can learn more and get started with essential oils here: abreathofhappiness.com
Subscribe and Spread the Word!
Make sure you get all the episodes by subscribing via I-Tunes, Stitcher, or your favorite podcatcher. (Mine is Podcast Addict!)
And you can help me and our mindful mama sisters out by leaving a review on iTunes or Stitcher. More reviews will help me get the podcast to more ears.
How to Subscribe to the Happiness Mama Podcast:
- Click here to subscribe via iTunes
- Click here to subscribe via RSS
- Click here to subscribe via Stitcher
- Click here to listen on Google Play Music
Stay in Touch:
Make sure you’re getting the Newsletter!
Sign up below for the Happiness Mama Newsletter and get a free guided meditation to relax and release tension and stress.
Also if you want to join a wonderful community of like-minded women, come on over to the Happiness Mama Community. It’s a free, kind, and supportive community of women consciously creating our happiest lives and encouraging each other along the way.
Thank you so much for listening! I hope this podcast helps you live into your truest values. You deserve happiness!