Photographer and mother of three Oana Hogrefe and I spoke about her journey to owning a successful portrait studio, how to take better photographs, and how to help our children be creative. We also talked about Oana’s decision to homeschool her children, the charities that she created, and what it means to be creative. With so many special photo opportunities coming up with the holidays, this is the perfect time to listen and learn from a pro how to get the best pictures. I really enjoyed our conversation, and I hope you do, too!
Highlights of Our Conversation
- How Oana got into photography
- Her background in science (She has a PhD in physics!) and web development in the corporate world…
- Creativity in software development and working with an international team
- Creativity is problem solving, letting go, releasing inhibitions, and expressing your inner self
- Crafting your own life, through the choices you make every day.
- Tons of tips for how to take good photographs
- How to have a good photo shoot when working with a professional photographer, and what not to do
- Advice for you when you’re taking pictures of your own kids, especially for getting good shots when you’re trying to do “special pictures” such as a family photograph…
- What NOT to do in your family photo shoots
- Murphy’s Law when it comes to group photos
- Oana’s hierarchy of what’s important for how to get the best photograph
- Why you can find Oana in back alleys taking photos instead of out by the pretty fountain…
- Her charities
- What creativity means to her…
- Letting go and relaxing and really listening to our children and being responsive to them.
- Why she got into homeschooling and what that looks like for her.
- The benefits of having her own photography business and how she has kept it as something that brings her joy
- How homeschooling allows her to be creative as well and how she encourages her children to be creative… by allowing them as much freedom as she can within the right limits.
Links and Books Mentioned
Spread the Word
If you enjoyed the podcast and want to help other mamas be happier, too, visit iTunes and kindly leave me a rating, review, and subscribe. (More ratings and reviews can lead to more eyes and ears seeing and hearing the podcast.) Thank you!
How to Subscribe to the Happiness Mama Podcast:
- Click here to subscribe via iTunes
- Click here to subscribe via RSS
- Click here to subscribe via Stitcher
Stay in Touch
Never miss an episode!
Click here to get the Happiness Mama Newsletter and your free gift.
Thank you so much for listening! I hope this podcast helps you be a little bit happier, and helps you go from striving to thriving!